Competing as a Jem
At Villa, we welcome students of all skill levels to participate in athletics to promote good health and fitness, build the kind of friendships that come from working as a team, and experience the pride of competing as a Jem. In order to participate in Villa Athletics, student athletes and their parents have several responsibilities. Please click on the tabs below for more information about the steps you need to take, make-up testing dates, and deadlines.
- Winter Season Spectator Policy: The AACA has voted to prohibit spectators for the winter season. This policy will be reviewed with the possibility of being amended if the local COVID conditions warrant it.
- Click here for the updated (January 2021) Official Fall Athletics Health & Safety Plan
- Spring sport-specific guidelines will be added as soon as they are released by PIAA
- Click here for COVID Protocol and Screening Form for Officials
- Click here for spring athletics Spectator Policy (TBD)
- Step-by-Step Process
- Athletics Handbook
- PIAA Forms
- Athletics Fee Form
- SPRING 2021 Deadlines
The following steps are required for registration and eligibility for participation in Villa Athletics:
- Student athletes and their parents must read and sign the Athletics Handbook.
- Student athletes must register on FamilyID (all required fields).
- Student athletes must complete the PIAA CIPPE (either SECTION 6, SECTION 7 , OR SECTION 8) forms. You will need to upload the appropriate completed form to FamilyID.
- Student athletes must pay an Athletics Fee of $300 per sport ($350 for swimming; $100 for winter track and field; $900 for fall rowing and $1250 for spring rowing).
- Student athletes must receive an ImPACT Baseline Test (once per year for the athlete, but prior to the first sport being played.)*
- This is taking place ONLINE this school year--please review the instructions in the "ImPACT" section below
- Student athletes must attend an athletics and concussion education presentation (once per year for the athlete, but prior to the first sport being played).*
- This is taking place ONLINE this school year--please review the instructions in the "ImPACT" section below
- Parents of student athletes must attend an athletics and concussion education presentation (one time for the parent/guardian, but before the start of your daughter's first athletic season).*
All Villa student athletes and their parents must sign the Athletics Handbook agreement form via FamilyID for the 2020-2021 school year by the first scrimmage or contest of their respective sport.
The Athletics Handbook for the 2020-2021 school year can be found within each of the FamilyID registrations for athletics.
Villa uses FamilyID to offer our families the convenience of online athletics registration and surveying. FamilyID (FamilyID.com) is a secure registration platform that provides you with an easy, user-friendly way to register for our programs, and helps us to be more administratively efficient and environmentally responsible. When you register through FamilyID, the system keeps track of your information in your FamilyID profile. You enter your information only once for each family member for multiple uses and multiple programs.
It will be helpful to have the following information handy to allow for accurate completion of your online registration.
- Your completed PIAA CIPPE form (see the PIAA Forms tab below)
- Insurance information for the prospective athlete
A parent/guardian should register (beginning after July 1, 2020) by clicking here:
Follow these steps:
- To find your program, click on the link provided by the Organization above and select the registration form under the word Programs.
- Next click on the green Register Now button and scroll, if necessary, to the Sign Up/Log In green buttons. If this is your first time using FamilyID, click Sign Up. Click Log In, if you already have a FamilyID account.
- Sign Up for your secure FamilyID account by entering the account owner First and Last names (parent/guardian), E-mail address and password. Select the agreement to the FamilyID Terms of Service. Click Sign Up.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your new account. (If you don’t see the email, check your E-mail filters (spam, junk, etc.).
- Click on the link in your activation E-mail, which will log you in to FamilyID.com
- Once in the registration form, complete the information requested. All fields with a red* are required to have an answer.
- Click the Save & Continue button when your form is complete.
- Review your registration summary.
- Click the green Submit button. After selecting ‘Submit’, the registration will be complete. You will receive a completion email from FamilyID confirming your registration.
At any time, you may log in at www.familyid.com to update your information and to check your registration(s).
To view a completed registration, select the 'Registration' tab on the blue bar.
If you need assistance with registration, contact FamilyID at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-800-5583 x1. Support is available 7 days per week, and messages will be returned promptly.
All students who wish to participate in Villa Athletics must submit SECTION 6 of the PIAA Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (CIPPE) from the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA). No prospective student athlete may participate in tryouts, practices, or contests until the proper CIPPE form is completed and handed in. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- Please note that the PIAA Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Evaluation forms are NOT the same forms as those required for all new students entering Villa.
- SECTION 6 must be completed by an Authorized Medical Examiner (AME).
- SECTION 6 of the CIPPE evaluation must be conducted and dated on or after June 1 (immediately preceding the current school year) in order for the evaluation to be deemed valid by the PIAA.
- The SECTION 6 form must be the most up-to-date version (Revised: March 22, 2017). A link to the correct/acceptable form is below.
- SECTION 6 is for athletes who have not yet participated in Villa Athletics during the current school year.
- SECTION 7 is the parent re-certification for those who have already participated in Villa Athletics during the current school year.
- SECTION 8 must be completed for any student who required medical treatment from a licensed physician of medicine or osteopathic medicine after previously turning in her SECTION 6 form.
To print the documents, please click on the desired link below:
CIPPE SECTION 7 (Only for Winter or Spring seasons, if you participated in a Fall sport.)
CIPPE SECTION 8 (Only for Winter or Spring seasons, if you sustained an injury or serious illness that required medical attention. It must be submitted with SECTION 7.)
ImPACT: Immediate Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing
The Comprehensive Concussion Education Program Team is dedicated to educate our student athletes, parents, and coaches on the most current concussion information that is available, to make smarter, safer, return-to-play decisions. Baseline testing can be a helpful tool to assist a healthcare provider with diagnosing a concussion and determining a safe return to play.
With these two concepts in mind, the Team is made up of members of the medical, educational, and athletic communities. The core of the Team is to be the certified Athletic Trainer, who also is the on-site coordinator; the Trauma Prevention Coordinator of the local hospital; and a member of the local BrainSTEPS Team. Together the core of the Team will enlist the help of other professionals to provide the most current concussion education and the most clinically reliable baseline testing possible.
SPRING Sports InformationFor the SPRING sports of lacrosse, sailing, softball and track & field, tryouts/practices begin Monday, March 8, 2021
o Rowing will begin on Saturday, February 27, 2021 at Core Creek Park's Lake Luxembourg--all rowing deadlines are one week earlier than those listed below*
§ Please check the VJM Athletics webpage for more information regarding time and location for each sport’s respective tryouts. The website will be updated as the information becomes available.
- Prospective SPRING sport student-athletes fitting the categories listed above MUST:
Register for lacrosse, sailing, softball, and track & field tryouts using FamilyID no later than Wednesday, March 3, 2021;
- Go to the FamilyID tab on the VJM Athletics Webpage and click on the “Register Now” button. Choose "Villa Joseph Marie High School 2021 SPRING Athletics Registration"
Complete SECTION 6. 7, or 8 of the PIAA “Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation” (CIPPE) form AND upload into FamilyID no later than Monday, Wednesday, March 3, 2021
- You may obtain the current PIAA form on the Athletics webpage under the PIAA Forms tab.
- SECTION 6 certification date must be listed as on or after June 1, 2020.
- The SECTION 6 form must be the most up-to-date version (Revised: March 22, 2017). Please use the form provided; the form is also located on “PIAA FORMS” tab on the VJM Athletics webpage.
- SECTION 6, 7, and/or 8 must be completed by an Authorized Medical Examiner (AME).
- No prospective student-athlete may participate in tryouts/practices/contests until this form is completed and uploaded into FamilyID (No paper/hard copies will be accepted)—NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
View the CCET Concussion presentation for prospective student-athletes desiring to participate in SPRING sports.
- This presentation will be offered online
- The link to the presentation can be found HERE.
- Survey responses must be received by Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Complete an ImPACT test
- Testing will be offered ONLY to incoming freshmen, transfers, any current student new to VJM athletics, and any current student-athlete who sustained a concussion in the last calendar year.
- Testing will take place on ONLINE with a deadline of Wednesday, March 3, 2021
- Click HERE for the online instructions
- For the category of students mentioned above, ImPACT testing must be completed prior to physical participation in tryouts/practices—NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
Pay an athletics fee in the amount of $ 300 per sport (with the exception of rowing which is $1250 for the spring season)
- Go to the Athletics Fee Form tab of the VJM Athletics webpage to submit online by Wednesday, March 3, 2021
- Refunds will be issued if your daughter does not make a team or if she decides not to play prior to the first official contest.
Spring sport coaches’ names and contact information can be found on the VJM Athletics webpage. Please contact Athletic Director Becky Flynn Hensel with all other inquiries: VJMAthletics@vjmhs.org or (215) 357-8810 x125.
Please visit the Athletics webpage periodically for any announcements, for information pertaining to upcoming seasons, and coaches’ contact information. Please know this information remains fluid as we deal with ramifications from COVID-19.